Finding Top Dead Center
Learning how to find TDC on your engine is one of the more fundamental skills to add to your DIY automotive repair arsenal because quite frankly if you cannot find TDC correctly then it is because you do not fully understand how a 4-stroke engine works.
Related article: Toyota’s Dynamic Force Engine Explained
Related article: Guide for Choosing a Four-Cylinder Turbo Over a Typical Six-Cylinder and Vice Versa
But fear not. A recent Toyota Maintenance YouTube channel episode explains and demonstrates how to find TDC on 4, 6 and 8-cylinder Toyota engines that is necessary to understand if you ever decide to service the timing assembly on your car by replacing an aging timing belt or chain before it breaks.
In the video you will learn:
• How the various Toyota cylinders are numbered
• Where to look for timing marks on the timing assembly
• How to know that you are on the correct stroke of the 4 cycles
• What position the exhaust and intake valves are on the cylinder head at TDC
The value of this video is that it takes out a little of the mystery of finding TDC whenever consulting a Haynes repair or similar automotive manual that instructs you to be sure the engine is at TDC without explaining how to do it and do it correctly the first time.
That said, here is the short video that is a joy to watch and learn from if you are new to engine building.
How to find Top Dead Center TDC on Toyota Engine
For additional articles related to learning about engines, here are a few for your consideration:
• Timing Chain and Timing Belt Problems and Repair Demonstrated by Mechanics
• Affordable Honda Knockoff for Teaching Kids About Cars
• Chevy Engine Autopsy Reveals $20 Engine Killer
Timothy Boyer is a Torque News automotive reporter based in Cincinnati. Experienced with early car restorations, he regularly restores older vehicles with engine modifications for improved performance. Follow Tim on Twitter at @TimBoyerWrites for daily new and used vehicle new.
COMING UP NEXT: A Simple Test to Avoid an Oil Leak Scam on Your Toyota
Image Source: Pixabay